Sunday, September 15, 2013

My Class Room Audience


My audience is a demographic of young adults; just starting, getting a taste of the world and a foot hold into life. As one of only five of us over the age of 22, I almost feel like an old-timer, and yet I am just starting out myself.

They’re workers, this group. It seems they’ve all already started somewhere, be it a crappy burger flipping job, a volunteer position turned job, or even something so exotic as tobacco cutter/bundler. We are all now in a position of asking ourselves what’s next.

There seems to be an adventurous vein in this group. When asked about crazy things we have done, jumping off of various things and blowing various other things up were oddly common answers. This group also seems to be very outdoorsy as a rule.

Family is very important to this group, particularly grandparents and siblings. There were several things that brought me to this conclusion, but most notable among them was that many stated that they would spend their last hour with family, which I think is an interesting choice given the average age of this group, their implied adventurer streak, and the light nature of this exercise. Clearly, family plays an important role with this audience.

The group displayed a fairly bold sense of humor with some of their answers to different questions. I would say that some serious things are open for satire with them, as long as the writer knows where he can step.

Despite a few jokers and cut-ups, many members of the group admire some serious historical figures, such as oddly particular presidents and war heroes.

Another departure from the jokester viewpoint is the group’s overwhelming sense of human interest. When poled about career interests, most of the group fell into a broader category of helping others, with choices such as Nurse, Counselor, Therapist, Psychologist, Teacher, Social Worker, and Police Officer. Maybe this bend toward altruism has something to do with the strong family values that my audience seems to have.

Finally, I think it’s worth mentioning that when asked where they were on September 11th, 2001, most of the group responded that they were in first or second grade. That surprised me, even though the math was there just waiting to be done. My immediate thought after this realization was that these young adults probably find the politics of today confusing and nonsensical. Maybe I’m wrong, but I remember 9/11 well, and our nation’s polices still confuse the Hell out of me.

I expected my audience to be young, strong, adventurous, and cynically witty. I was surprised, however, to find them so family minded, and so inclined to the idea of dedicating their working lives to helping other people. Knowing what I know now, I am more comfortable writing with my own slightly cynical, humorous view of the world. More interestingly, though, is the fact that I now feel more comfortable exploring the more sentimental side of the things that we write about, knowing that my audience is not just a group of vicious, blood thirsty, cynical youth, but are in fact the latest wave of thinkers and feelers in the ongoing flow of people making their way through this confusing, mixed up world.

No comments:

Post a Comment